Warning: Picture overload ahead and a long post to go with it.
Every year our family treks out to Washington state for our family vacation. The last two years we drove and this year we flew. My parents live in Washington and have a "place" at the lake 35 minutes away in Coeur d'Alene Idaho.We are very single minded while we are there - 9 of our 13 days were spent at the lake. I always see my friends Niki, Ken and Weisen (who's last name is no longer Weisen, but for the life of me I just can't think of her any other way), but otherwise we're on the boat.
We drive up to the river because that's where the best waterskiing is.
No one will ever convince me there is a more beautiful place than Lake Coeur d'Alene and the Shadowy St. Joe River that flows into it. I literally dream about it. The drive from their house goes on the Palouse Highway, and it's so pretty:
My brother Bret and his family were in Washington the same time we were. One day we drove over to Harrison on the other side of the lake to get icecream. The wind had come up and made docking at the marina difficult. The first attempt failed, despite my mom and Bret being ready to catch us, and as the wind blew the boat out my dad revved it a little to get us docked, but Bret wasn't quite ready and all we heard was, "Oh S@#!" and a splash. He was fully clothed and came up wallet in hand. He was a very good sport about it. The problem was we still weren'y docked and Bret had been holding a docking rope, which then wrapped around the prop, leaving us dead in the water and we were at the mercy of the wind as it blew us towards the other boats in the marina. Derek (my hero) jumped behind the boat, armed only with a screw driver, and pried the rope free in the nick of time. This was very stressful for all 9 people left in the boat, especially as my nephew Ben asked repeatedly if he could jump in the water to retrieve his dad's hat. When Derek climbed back in the boat my dad revved it a little again and Bryce said, "Papa, don't you know? This is a no wake zone." =) Love that boy! We got the boat parked, enjoyed our icecream (sorbet for me) and some swim time in Harrison then headed back.
We practice driving the boat when we're there too, so we'll be ready when we leave this lakeless state and buy one of our own.
Bryce loves everything about this trip. He's a different kid out there.
This day was SO HOT! It was 8pm and still 90 degrees - we couldn't get the boys out of the water, which was only about 71 degrees. Austin's lips were blue when we finally got them out.
Derek and I got to try out the kayaks one morning. I'm just OK with kayaking, it's fun when you're traveling with the waves, not so much when you're against them. It's a beautiful place to do it though.
8 comments:
What a fun trip! You look great behind the boat. We should move next to each other and go in on a boat together:) Austin maybe...
Oh, so much fun! This is the first summer in my whole life that we won't be going to coeur d'alene. So sad! Loved the pics :)
Glad you guys had fun!
Certainly looks like you had fun. Wanna plan to be in Spokane at the same time next year? :) I'd totally go out on the boat, just as long as no one makes me try to ski...
I remember you talking about water skiing with your family and how much you love it. You guys are awesome! Now you just need to take some video of you on the water.
How beautiful! In all my years living in Idaho I have never been to Coeur d'Alene! Looks like I need to make the trip! Can we stay with your parents when we do? :o)
You are a rockstar on the river.
Jealous...envious....totally impressed.
I wish I would have brought my camera. I think the last time I got a picture of all of us was over 10 years ago. Oh well, next year. I'm glad you got to come up and again I'm glad that we are part of your annual plans!
So many fun pictures; and so much water. I am glad to have you back though, selfish as I am!
Post a Comment