Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Our vacation, in a nutshell

We just got back from a great vacation. We were at Bear Lake in Utah/Idaho for a week with Derek's fam, then drove to Spokane/Coeur d'Alene for 2 weeks with mine. I honestly wish I'd added a fourth week to our trip - we had so much fun, although my yard and home are a complete disaster now. Derek was with us for the first week, flew home to work for a week and a half and then flew back out for three days before two very long days in the car coming home. The kids did great in the car for the most part - the drive from Spokane to Rapid City was the hardest part... we were all a little glassy eyed by the end of that one. But we made it and had a great time. At Bear Lake we were with Derek's mom's side of the family for the first part, then with Derek's dad side for the second, then with my side for the last two weeks. Here are some pics so you can all see for yourselves and be jealous at the fun time we had!





This is our hike to Bloomington Lake - the water was FREEZING and the mosquitos were the worst I've EVER experienced - but it was beautiful.











Bryce and his uncle and aunts, Jared, Becca and Jenna at Bear Lake's North Beach







Jenna, Derek's 15 year old sister, at the bowling alley - she's such a fun kid, and I'm sure she'll love that I posted this pic!











Bryce and Austin on the 4th in their Old Navy shirts, doesn't Bryce look thrilled?









My parents have a sweet cherry tree that we picked while we were there - 4 hours and 25 gallons of cherries later we got to eat!









My brother Kevin, niece Brinley and Bryce tubing on Lake Coeur d'Alene, which is probably one of my favorite places in the whole world.










Austin loved the boat - but I'm not sure why his life jacket wasn't on in this picture.








Waterskiing - what I love to do and don't get to do nearly enough.








One of the many reasons I love Coeur d'Alene - this is the view from my parent's patio. The swim dock is in the corner.














"The mountain with the faces on it" - our last stop on the way home!

11 comments:

Niki said...

I enjoyed seeing you while you were here. I wish our kids would have enjoyed it as much as we did! Next year when you come (you're coming back next year right??), neither one of us will have a 4 year-old so we should have better luck. That is the worst age. Have fun with your raspberries. I'm glad you had fun.

Julia Buell said...

What a fun vacation!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds fun! You guys are brave doing all that with your kids! Driving long distances w/kids is always an adventure!

**KT

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture of the family at Mt. Rushmore! Bryce is so grown up!! Hope you are doing well!

-Emily

LeeAnn and David said...

I've been looking for an update on your blog! Great vacation!

Maren and Dustin said...

Glad to see you back online! So glad you had fun visiting family and playing in the water. So... when are you going to make the drive back down to Texas? :) Miss you guys!

Karebear said...

It is always nice when a family vacation turns out good (or maybe you just omitted the horrible stuff, which I would!)

ashley g. said...

What a good trip. Oh and by the way. I want to come next time. That lake looks awesome- and your parents LIVE on that? In the word of Napolean Dynamite, "lucky!" I'm glad you survived your drive, but I'm sure that buckets of cherries can always sweeten the deal.

Sara said...

Didn't we go frisbee golfing once and the mesquitos were so, so bad? That's a funny memory! (I hope I'm not crazy. I'm positive it was with you and Derek. Right?)

It looks like you had tons of fun on your trip!

Jen Giorgis said...

Looks like you had a great time! I have to say that I am happy that you are home. It seemed like you were gone forever, and we are in need of some serious game playing!

jessica said...

That sounds like so much fun. I now have a burning desire to go to Coeur d'Alene. And what brave parents to drive that far with kids in tow...Glad it all went well!