Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Vacation

Here's the summary of my summer vacation:

1. My sister-in-law Jennie and I drove the 1438.5 miles together in my car with these four kiddos in the back. Everything went pretty well except for about 25 minutes outside of Wall Drug where Brinley was screaming, Austin wanted me and cried so hard he threw up, Addy had to go potty and was trying to get carsick into a plastic sack and Bryce was giving a running commentary on the whole thing, while I drove and Jennie tried to keep everyone in one piece.

2. That night we stayed in kind of a crappy hotel that had a GREAT water slide in the pool. The kids had a blast and it made the run-down room worth it. All the kids slept in the same bed except Austin, who was very annoyed that he was in the porta-crib. He has since transitioned into a bed.
3. I got pulled over for the first time EVER doing 84 in a 75. All four kids were asleep and I'm pretty sure that's why I got off with just a warning. Also - coming home Derek got pulled over doing 81 in a 75, Jennie got pulled over doing 82 in a 75, and my brother Kevin also got pulled over. No tickets were issued.
4. The Lake. We spent A LOT of time there. We loved it.
5. My kids adore their Papa, all I've heard since from Austin is "Papa's boat, Papa's truck". His big red diesel obviously made an impression. The kids fought over who got to ride to the lake in it.
6. Friends. I got to see my friends Ken, Niki and Andi while I was there. For only getting to see each other once a year, I certainly am lucky for the great relationships I have with those three. They always make my trips home fun.

7. Did I mention the lake? Oh, and water skiing? And the boat, Papa's boat? Um, yeah, we really loved that.
8. Cousins! I'm so glad Jennie was there with her girls, it made all of us happy. Jennie's been married to my brother for 7 years and I've always liked her. But there was something about this trip that made me appreciate her even more. My brother Bret and his family also made it there the last 2 days of our trip, and my sister Debbie lives there. It was out first family reunion in 7 years, all 19 of us. It was crazy, but fun.
9. It was a very LONG drive home. But it's worth it! We stayed in a brand new hotel with an 11,000 square foot water park on the way home. So fun!

10. After 3 weeks being gone it was good to come home, but I wish we could see my parents (and go to the lake) more than once a year. I'm already looking forward to next year... when we're flying instead of driving! =)

4 comments:

Maren and Dustin said...

Ugh! So you ended up driving home? Glad you had a fun trip though. Austin looks so big. I had to laugh when I was looking at your family picture on our fridge because Austin is just a baby in it!

How is it that no one got a ticket? I ALWAYS get the ticket. So unfair. :)

jessica said...

Awesome trip! You are one brave woman to drive that many miles with that many children in tow! Props to you!

Briann said...

How fun! I can't believe how big Austin and Bryce are and can't believe we haven't seen them in over a year! I should convince Shaun to let me fly out and see you guys! Love you and we will miss you at the wedding but understand why and I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to drive again!Love ya!

Trinity said...

Nice waterskiing pic! You got mad skills lady. Mad skills.