Friday, February 5, 2010

1 week, 2 victories

I've mentioned before that Bryce is somewhat "selective" about what he'll eat (see: Eating Disorders). It's always noteworthy when something else is added onto the menu, such as this post. Bryce came home from school one day and asked me, "What are those things (at lunch) on a stick?"
Corn Dogs.
And he said, "They smell really good." Bryce likes cornbread (but we found out last night cornbread made with white whole wheat flour is not good) but he cut hot dogs out when he was two... So we did a trial run at home to see if he'd eat one, and when that was successful, he actually bought school lunch and he ate the corn dog! He's done this twice AND he's eaten them at home. I realize they are not the definition of health food, but he eats enough fresh items that I just need something to pack on some calories onto his skinny little legs. I measured, Austin's thighs are as round as Bryce's.



The other victory is related back to this post. Bryce likes his milk HOT, and in the same sippy cup he's had since birth (so gross). This has been somewhat concerning to me - I had visions of warming up milk in a sippy for him until he's 18 (My mom cut up my brother Bret's french toast every morning until High School - I have reason to fear). I've wondered how to make the switch to cold milk in a glass, and suddenly it happened on it's own.

All because I've been craving this:

I've always viewed chocolate milk as a bit of a luxury item. I've had no problem adding some chocolate syrup to a glass, but I rarely bought it at the store - except for the BYU Creamery's chocolate milk, whereas I lost all self control. My boys have been loving big cups of chocolate milk. Austin wasn't drinking milk very well, but now he is. And Bryce has enjoyed the cold chocolate milk so much he's started buying white milk with lunch at school. He still has his "Bubba's" but we're on the right track here! Once again, this isn't the picture of healthy eating, but we're taking baby steps in the right direction.

6 comments:

ashley g. said...

We have one anorexic child at our house too. If it's not perfect... she happily starves.

On that note- we've had a lot of success with Strawberry syrup as well. It seems like when her food is "pretty" or unique-looking, she'll try it. Have you ever tried www.familyfun.com? They have some fun food/snack ideas. They have some really fun ways to make turkeys out of pears, oranges and grapes, or whatever wierdness you feel like creating.

Maren and Dustin said...

Awesome! Corn dogs and chocolate milk! I'm coming to live at your house! :) (Except I can't stand store bought chocolate milk...I don't know what it is.) But hooray for finding food your kid will eat!

Karebear said...

Having one of those picky eaters myself, I totally understand!!! Parker a couple of weeks ago didn't want to drink his milk either. I put some chocolate syrup in his cup and he drank it right up! (our chocolate syrup is sugar free, but I still felt guilty). I would do flips (that's right I would figure out how first and then do them!) if I could get Scott to eat a corn dog! I rejoice when I can get him to eat anything!

Nan said...

I'll bet Lisa can relate to this post. I remember Shaun eating cherrios and milk. Period. That was it. Corn dogs and chocolate milk? Now that sounds good.

Rebekah said...

I can totally hear you saying this and you just crack me up! Miss you!

Briann said...

thanks for the idea! Leah loves her bubbas and they always have to be warm or she won't drink them, so im going to try that and see if it works!