Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A mother's curse

For several days now Bryce has, shall we say, not been himself. He's always a very stubborn kid (wonder where he gets that) but the past three or four days he has been so unreasonable and sensitive - a very bad combo. So I finally took him to the doctor and now both of my boys have ear infections in their right ears. The difference between Bryce and Austin is Austin will take his medicine and Bryce opted to go to bed, still fully clothed at 7:30 rather than take the bubblegum medicine that we'd had flavored with cherry at his request. We even told him he would have to go get a shot if he didn't take it and he, first went to get a new shirt since he'd spit the medicine out all over himself, then he got in the car and said, "OK, let's go to the hospital and get a shot." He normally takes medicine fairly well, but not bubblegum medicine.
This is a case of a mother's curse. You know, it's what happens when a mom says, "I hope someday you have a child just like you." I remember pulling out all the stops to get out of taking medicine, and I always HATED taking that awful bubblegum medicine. So mom, just so you know, your curse has been fulfilled - thank you very much! I think I was a pretty good kid otherwise, but I hope our family never has to move when I have a teenager or I know there's another curse waiting for me out there. I'll have a kid who insists, daily, I'm ruining his/her life, hides the For Sale sign from the realtor and... well, no need to go on, but I will point out my sister's curses will be far worse than mine!

8 comments:

Jen Giorgis said...

LOL.....that was too cute! Bummer another ear infection. You knew it, darnit. We have only ever had one little tiny ear infection. They are a big bummer. Especially during swimming season. Hope he gets feeling more like himself soon!

Holly said...

I used to stay home from school so I could take the grape Dymatap (sp?). That stuff is so good!!! Lucky for me...I don't have that particular "curse" with my kids. Other "curses" maybe, but not that one:) Hope your little ones start feeling better soon!

Heather said...

I hated the bubblegum flavor too! Your posting makes me I wonder what I have in store with Annabelle - OH NO!

Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.

Maren and Dustin said...

That is so not fair- two kids with ear infections. (And to think, you used to almost brag that Bryce had never had one as a baby!) I'm sorry. Can you dilute a dose of medicine in juice or something? When straight forwardness doesn't work at my house we always try the fake out. And not to worry Sheri, even if you had your moments as a child, you turned out mighty fine, I'd say.

Briann said...

You are too funny!

Anonymous said...

What? Sheri stubborn?? No way! :)

Funny post!

**KT

Trinity said...

So glad you went to the dr. though. Do they have a mom award for having the kids with the most ear infections? I should make you a medal!!

Karebear said...

My mom always thanked my Grandma for cursing her to have a daughter like her (that would be me!) I was horrible until I was about 14. Needless to say, my Mom and I have a lot of fun!