Friday, May 30, 2008

Horton the Plant


I have a hanging plant on my front porch which I am rather fond of. I'm not sure what it is - maybe nasturtium - but today I was watering it and discovered that a bird had built its nest in the middle of my plant. I have very mixed feelings about this. First off, how cool. Second, how annoying. I'm worried the nest and it's contents are going to kill my plant, but if I move the nest am I then sentencing 7, yes 7, little eggs to certain death? But then I think - wouldn't it be a great opportunity for Bryce to watch baby birds hatch and grow. So I've been thinking about my plant, which I've now named Horton since it looks as though she (yes a female Horton, my plant is definitely female - very demanding, always wants lots of water and doesn't like strong winds) will be hatching some eggs. I've been concerned that I've already driven away the mommy bird (Mayzie bird) by discovering her nest, so I went to peek to see if she'd come back. I didn't see her, but what I discovered was than 4 of the eggs are gone. Hopefully you can see in the picture there are 3 white, 2 blue and 2 black speckled eggs - the ones that remain are one blue and the black speckled ones. Obviously it's at least two kinds of eggs I've got here - any suggestions about what to do with them? I don't want to kill the baby birds, but as I mentioned - I'm rather fond of Horton. Also - how did the bird pick up her eggs - beak?, feet?

9 comments:

Maren and Dustin said...

Okay that's just plain crazy. Who knows, give it a couple of weeks to see if Mama bird will come for her other young, and then you can keep a really cool nest and move Horton to wherever you please.

Briann said...

Hey! Well we are really excited to see you guys at the family reunion, can't wait!

Julia Buell said...

That is a crazy place for a nest. I'd be a little irritated if birds were nesting in my hanging plant (those plants are expensive!) but it would be neat to watch baby birds. All we have are wasps.

Jessica said...

Hmmmm....what a predicament. Maybe move the nest to a tree, but don't touch the eggs. We'll see how smart that mama bird is! It's like hide-and-go-seek. Maybe mama bird just needed a break from all that "nesting." Or maybe daddy bird "accidentally" knocked the baby bird eggs out of the nest because there was just too dang many of them? I'm sorry--I'm just no help at all, am I? Hee Hee...

Anonymous said...

Hey Sheri,
Wow,...can't believe the nest! Crazy!
So...welcome to blog-dom! I am so excited you have a blog. I love to read everybody's blogs! It's so nice to keep in touch!
:)
**KT

laurie said...

I love that I stumbled upon your blog thru Jen Giorgis'. You have quite a dilema on your hands. Last year we had a robins nest on our fence. I loved it. I became obsessed with checking in on the little ones. This year we have one in our bush (yes, bush not a tree) This one is very close proximity to where the kids play, so, I am bit worried about it. Check in on us anytime at www.andersontattletales.blogspot.com

Laurie Anderson

Sheri said...

Here's an update - all 7 eggs are out of the nest. I guess Horton won't be a mommy after all!

ashley g. said...

My vote? Fry those babies up!

Just kidden. That will be fun to watch. I woulud suggest putting a tin pan (disposable of course) underneath the plant- poop can be a beast!

Anonymous said...

Sheri, we found a robin's nest in our barbecue (luckily we hadn't fired it up!) when we came back from vacation. Unfortunately, the mother abandoned the nest when we discovered it. But, you never move a nest with eggs in it because the mother will abandon it. When I checked on the eggs the last time, a predator had gotten in there and poked holes in each egg! We cleaned out the barbecue after that and sold it in a yard sale. We couldn't cook on it after that!