1. figuring out what we're going to eat and then
2. going to the grocery store to get it.
Bryce makes both issues increasingly difficult because his main courses are PB&J, plain pasta or nuggets, and I also dislike taking both him and Austin to the store - for obvious reasons. I can't do much about problem #2, but for a couple years now I've had a rotating meal calendar. I have to redo it as I find new recipes and as the seasons change, but I love being able to look at my week and know what to buy and what we're eating. I plan once and enjoy it for weeks. I haven't had a decent meal calendar since Austin was born - I made one up for the winter only to discover a week later that Austin didn't appreciate my love of dairy. So for the most part my plan is dairy free with only a couple exceptions.
When I started my calendar I wasn't sure it would work. Here were some of my concerns and how I resolved them.
- At first I was worried a meal calendar would be very restricting - what if I found a recipe I wanted to try, or we were in the mood for something else, but if I want something else, I just make it.
- Also, my sister-in-law Jennie, who I love to pieces, can't believe I cook every night. You'll notice I have no night indicated for left overs. But let me explain- we rarely have left overs. I've been cooking for 2 for 7+ years and pretty much know how much to make for us, and I don't make extra because then I'm either tempted to eat more at dinner or it goes to waste. If there are good leftovers, I usually have them for lunch.
- You'll notice I have 7 meals for 6 weeks listed. But the list is grouped like, Chicken - Grill - Sandwiches - stuff with rice - Fish Etc., not by days of the week. And the 7 meals will usually last us more like 9 days because I don't cook every night, we go out or to friends or have cereal for dinner! So really this is like an 7 week calendar!
- This is for main daily meals only. Breakfast and lunch are not structured like this - cereal, french toast, Krusteaz pancakes, Healthy Choice, sandwiches, salads etc. Desserts and snacks are also not included in my list.
- And the last thing - I try to make balanced meals, but sometimes the salad doesn't get made, or the fruit doesn't get cut... oh well!
WEEK 1
Artichoke Chicken, Couscous
Burgers,BBQ Beans, Fries
Mango Chicken Wrap, Fries
Teriyaki Steak, Green Beans,Rice
Sun Dried Salmon, Apples and Greens Salad, Focaccia Bread
Sun Dried Pasta, Garlic Bread, Fruit
Mediterranean Chicken, Couscous, Fruit
WEEK 2
East Indian Chicken, Rice, Smoothie
Grilled Tacos, Mexi-rice, Fruit
Chicken Satay Sammies, Salad
Bulgoli, Rice, Stir fry Peppers
Citrus Halibut, Salad, Bread
Crepes, Ham and Egg English Muffins
Penne Pasta Primavera, Muffins
WEEK 3
Sautéed Chicken with olives and Feta, Couscous
Asian Flank Steak, Rice, Stir Fry Veggies
Pesto Sandwiches, Salad
Apricot Chicken, Rice, Steamed Veggies
Kim’s Salmon, Green Beans, Breadsticks
Burritos, Refried Beans, \Chips
Chicken Magic, Fruit
WEEK 4
Honey Baked Curry Chicken, Rice
Chicken Kebabs with Pineapples and Peppers, Rice
Sonoran Salad, Breadsticks
Speedy Chicken Stirfry, Rice, Fruit
Scampi Halibut, Roasted Potatoes, Fruit
Meatballs, Rice, Fruit
Sausage, Potato and Peppers, Fruit
WEEK 5
Trinity Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Corn on the Cob
Blue Cheese Chicken Wraps, Fries
Aztec Chicken, Rice, Chips
Western Skillet Omelet, Muffins
Fried Rice
Almond Pasta , Fruit
WEEEK 6
Tropical Zitoni, Fruit Muffins
LeeAnn’s Grilled Chicken, Fruit, Bread
Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Beans, Fruit
Kielbasa Stir Fry, Rice
Salmon Dip, Corn Bean Relish, Veggie Dippers
Pork Leschon, Fruit
Ginger Flank Steak, Rice, Sesame Soy Veggies
13 comments:
1st let me say you are very organized! I'm so inspired. 2nd, while looking over your list- I see quite a few recipes I would love to have. Do you share your recipes?
I love having a menu- it's so great not to ask the most horrible question ever, "What am I going to make for dinner?" Seriously, have you ever thought about making your own cookbook? (Sorry no suggestions on dairy free- I love me my cheese!)
Okay, all I have to say is that your family is eating WAY better thatn mine! Everything on your list sounds like something you would get at a restaurant. I would love tons of your recipes. And I noticed you had couscous listed a few times. I've always wanted to make it but affraid to try. You need to tell me how to do it to get me over my fear.
Can you please, please come over and be my cook! I get so sick of making dinner all the time! You're menu looks AWESOME!
**KT
i love how well thought out things are for you. i on the other hand have to go accoring to what jared wants and that is never what we have in the house....
I'm so glad I found your blog! It's a great way to keep in touch. Great meal calendar! I wish I was that organized. I guess I should try and do something like that because I have the hardest time trying to come up with an idea of what to make for dinner. Great blog!
bloomfieldfamily.blogspot.com
Holy cow! I wish I could be that organized and plan ahead like that for my family's meals. I'm way too big into cooking every other night so we have leftovers. :( I'll email you for some of your recipes though - they look very tasty!
Menus are so nice, so you don't have to think! You have a great variety. Bryce must not be too picky with how many different things you have. Good luck!
Can I hire you?? Maybe I'll even pay for the commute! That's a great meal plan. Since, I'm still trying to get coordinated with Nathan, we have lots of prepared things. I'm getting better, though!
You are amazing, sheri!! you cook 7 days a week!!
PS, i love your blog.
Lindsay
I can plan menus, but then I don't follow them. Amy plans menus. She must have learned it from you! You are inspiring and I may just give this a try after I get through the next few weeks--when I get off my three week vegetarian kick, return from Oregon, and finish with youth conference. I'm really liking the vegetarian eating. David is tolerating it for awhile.
Sherri = Lifesaver.
I totally copied those ideas and emailed them to myself so that I can't complain when we can't think of anything to eat.
Good work Martha, I mean Sherri.
Amazing! We are going to have to break this down in my house! help . . . ;)
Post a Comment