Sunday, January 4, 2009

Crash!

Saturday was an icy, slick day here. The morning was a "warm" 35 and drizzling and then at 2 pm everything froze as a serious cold front moved in. We made the mistake of leaving and couldn't get back up into our driveway so we had to park in the street, with the passenger side wheels on our lawn. We got the kids out and went inside and we were talking about whether we should leave the car there. I opened the blinds and Derek asked what I was doing and I said, "Watching to see if our car is sliding down the street." (yes, it was so slippery this was a real concern) and as the words came out of my mouth this poor teenager in a '98 Honda SMASHED into my car sending it sliding into and down the road about 10 feet. His car is pretty much totaled and my bumper is trashed.
As a side note, it NEVER occurred to us when we bought our house that the slight hill going up to our house and in our driveway would pose problems. But anytime there's bad weather in the winter we have to take the long way around and come down our street instead of trying to get up it. This is the first time we haven't been able to get into our driveway. I've never experienced icy roads like what we had Saturday - and I grew up in South Dakota!

8 comments:

ashley g. said...

OMG!!! I am so glad that none of you were in the car! And how sad to witness such a tragedy to such a good looking car. Darn teenagers...

Icy roads are the worst. Now I think that both of us need to go on vacation. To somewhere warm.

Dahle Family said...

Holy cow, thank goodness you guys were out of it and not involved in the crash.

AmyJ said...

So Sorry to hear about your car. Glad everyone is o.k.

Sheri said...

Ashley, funny you mention warm weather - we're off to Cozumel for a week in Feb. Id' say come with, but you'd be like 11 months pregnant by then!

Amber said...

Saturday was such an icy day. We were out and about, and sliding all over. I'm glad that no one was hurt in your accident!

Dallin and Megan Dyer said...

Does this mean a new car for Derek? I was hoping my car was totaled when I was rear ended a few weeks ago, but not quite...I even had my new car all picked out!

ashley g. said...

Cozumel? I could totally go as a 11-month pregnant woman! I just don't think you'd want to see me in a pregnant swimsuit... maybe next year. I'll make sure I do a lot of situps between now and then so we can go on a cruise or something. Yes- I'm serious.

Maren and Dustin said...

That stinks! How odd that you watched it happen, though. Glad you are okay, and sorry that your bumper is not.