On Friday I had Lasik! In the weeks leading up to it I was so nervous and I can't tell you how many times I seriously considered canceling my appointment, but we'd put the money in flex spending and didn't want to loose it, so... I actually did it! For 12 long days before my surgery I had to wear my glasses, so I looked like this:
Then the Monday before my surgery I had to get my eyes dilated, so I looked like this:
The day of surgery I went into the beautiful office and they did all the scans, for the third time, and made me watch a video explaining how there are no guarantees with Lasik and how I may never see again. Great. Then they finally gave me the promised Valium, which tasted disgusting, and then I just had to wait. Right before I went in the guy who'd been just ahead of me all morning came out of the laser room and he looked TERRIBLE. His eye lids were purple and swollen and he was stumbling into the plush leather recliner beside me. Just what I wanted to see, but then it was my turn! So I went in and they taped my eyelashes back, then used the speculum (I think that's what they called it) to prop open my lids. I thought I would hate that part, but after the first 5 seconds it didn't bother me at all. So then the real action happened - they put this cuff thing around my iris and it suctioned on so my eye couldn't move and everything went dark. Then they said I might feel a "pinch". This is where I was scared but all I could feel was the vibrations from them cutting the corneal flap (lovely phrase, eh?) but it didn't hurt. Then they pulled back the flap and my vision came back and was all crazy, then the laser flashed for a few seconds and they put the flap back in place and I was done with that eye and they did the other. It was so easy and didn't hurt AT ALL! My day after appointment I had 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left, but that should get better. I can see! Coming home I had to wear these all day and for the first week to bed
- Bryce calls me a bug in them. There's just a little damage done
that should clear up in a couple weeks. So cool! I should have done this years ago!
(As a side note, in the first picture of me with Austin, check out the paint colors behind me - those are the hideous colors my room is painted -any suggestions on what color to paint over?)
Then the Monday before my surgery I had to get my eyes dilated, so I looked like this:
The day of surgery I went into the beautiful office and they did all the scans, for the third time, and made me watch a video explaining how there are no guarantees with Lasik and how I may never see again. Great. Then they finally gave me the promised Valium, which tasted disgusting, and then I just had to wait. Right before I went in the guy who'd been just ahead of me all morning came out of the laser room and he looked TERRIBLE. His eye lids were purple and swollen and he was stumbling into the plush leather recliner beside me. Just what I wanted to see, but then it was my turn! So I went in and they taped my eyelashes back, then used the speculum (I think that's what they called it) to prop open my lids. I thought I would hate that part, but after the first 5 seconds it didn't bother me at all. So then the real action happened - they put this cuff thing around my iris and it suctioned on so my eye couldn't move and everything went dark. Then they said I might feel a "pinch". This is where I was scared but all I could feel was the vibrations from them cutting the corneal flap (lovely phrase, eh?) but it didn't hurt. Then they pulled back the flap and my vision came back and was all crazy, then the laser flashed for a few seconds and they put the flap back in place and I was done with that eye and they did the other. It was so easy and didn't hurt AT ALL! My day after appointment I had 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left, but that should get better. I can see! Coming home I had to wear these all day and for the first week to bed
- Bryce calls me a bug in them. There's just a little damage done
that should clear up in a couple weeks. So cool! I should have done this years ago!(As a side note, in the first picture of me with Austin, check out the paint colors behind me - those are the hideous colors my room is painted -any suggestions on what color to paint over?)
8 comments:
I am so jealous. I want to go and get it done. So you will have to keep me posted on your post-op because I really am debating it.
Yeah for you Sheri! I am completely jealous (and blind).
**KT
Very cool- way to be brave! And I love that you documented the whole thing in pictures. You freaking rock. And one day, I will do it.
As for the colors- who doesn't love gold and red? Are you nuts? My whole house is tan- so I would be the wrong one to ask. Although, I do love my neutrality. We did just paint Steve's office though- a cool color of green- it's a Kwal Paint named Herbivore. It looks almost tan on the swatch but it turns out a really pretty light, mossy green.
Yay, you finally got your Lasik - I hope that your eyes will stay great like Ryan's! Congratulations! I'm glad it didn't hurt you either. As for the colors, honestly - I like the yellow and red - myabe they didn't come out the honest colors in the picture, but yellow is my favorite color and the color I chose to paint my bathroom (although it did NOT turn out the shade of yellow I intended), and I like deep red accents with yellow, so I dond't know what to tell you for paint colors. What color is your comforter?
Okay, your goggles are way worse looking than the clear shields Dustin was wearing! He just got back from his one week and he already has 20/10 vision! That is awesome. Way to not chicken out!!!
Thats awesome, congrats!
I'm proud of you! After reading your description I'm pretty sure I'll never get lasik:)
How are your eyes feeling? I've thought about Lasik, but not seriously. It sounds a little scary- I'm glad you were brave. I've never had valium- is it good stuff?
Post a Comment