Friday, November 7, 2008

"Healthy" kids

Lately I've been trying to feed my kids better. My first step in doing this was to eliminate sugared cereal from our morning routine. In the past we've been known to have yummy sugary sweetness like Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Reese's Puffs (Bryce's personal favorite, which he calls meatball cereal). So I've replaced them with Kix (light meatballs), Chex and Life. The result - my kids aren't eating breakfast now. I tried oatmeal this morning and neither kid touched it. Austin has decided his morning isn't complete without a Go-gurt (ultra-sugary yogurt right there) and Bryce has his bubba and a few bites of the "grown up" cereal. Any suggestions on how to have a healthier breakfast they actually eat???

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What about toast with his favorite jam/freezer jelly?

Holly said...

I would make chocolate chip pancakes...but...with a little "twist". I'd mash up a banana in the mix, and add an egg or two. That way they're getting some protein and fruit...in an ultra yummy pancake:o)
Also, fruit salad in the morning on a german pancake is super yummy! Would they go for a quiche? You can make it the night before and just heat it up in the morning. Hope that helps:o)

Trinity said...

ha! meatball cereal . . that is great! Grace would have lucky charms morning noon and night if I let her. But I switched her to frosted mini wheats and she doesn't complain too much. Enough sugar content to make her happy and lots of whole wheat to make mom happy. we also make protein shakes with milk, pure protein powder - no additives, banana, and flaxseed once a week and she loves them.

jessica said...

We add a little sugar to the non-sugar cereals...is that cheating?

ashley g. said...

Mmmm... I had no idea that meatball cereal was so appetizing! I applaud you for giving it a shot!

Our "healthier" breakfast? Try making colored pancakes/muffins. My cute sister-in-law makes "green eggs and muffins" for her Dr. Suess loving son. We also LOVE scrambled eggs, smoothies, bananas in yogurt.

Anonymous said...

Sheri -- here's an idea: let them put a little bit (1/4 c. ?) of sugar cereal on top of the non sugar cereal and then mix it together. It will probably be sweet enough and then maybe you could slowly wean them off it.

Good luck!


**KT