1. We've made some really GREAT friends.
2. My brothers are 1 and 2 hours away, close enough to do holiday's together and see frequently, but not so close we have to babysit each other's kids every weekend.
3. Affordable cost of living. We could never afford this house if it were in California (or almost anywhere else major CPG companies are located).
4. There are no cockroaches here.
5. I love my neighborhood and have awesome neighbors. We have big, mature trees, nationally recognized schools and easy access to shopping and the freeway.
6. People in Omaha are so friendly. Even government workers! I've never had such a positive, and fast experience at the DMV. And today I was at the post office, along with 30 other people, and a lady a few people in front of me insisted I go ahead of her when she saw I was juggling boxes while entertaining Austin. Then I went to the grocery store and was bundling up to go out with my baby and groceries when one of the employees came to my rescue and carried my bag out into the freezing cold to my car for me (obviously, this wasn't at Walmart) . Then I told him how much I appreciated it and he patted my arm (in a very grandfatherly, NOT creepy way) and said, "You're welcome, young lady." Now, I ask you - who wouldn't like that!!!
7. We have a great, and huge, church ward and
the beautiful Winter Quarters temple is 20 minutes away.
8. The zoo here is one of the best I've ever seen - DC is probably better, but only because they've got Pandas.
9. On most days Derek likes his job. And I like the few hours I spend at mine too.
10. Despite weather that sucks 3/4 of the year,
our family is really happy here!!!
So - as my kids bounced off the walls all afternoon from being cooped up all day, this is what I thought about. Some things are intangible and while they may seem insignificant, when added up they make it all worth it, or so I tell myself. After all we're here for the long haul, so we'd better get used to it!
9 comments:
So glad you like it here. We like having you here! I enjoyed this; and needed it tonight while sitting here freezing my toes off! ;)
Good job thinking positive!
Yeah...the weather in Omaha is less than ideal. I enjoyed reading your list. John and I have lived in more "exciting" places than Omaha, but it is a great family-friendly community. I am glad that there are some things that you like.
Thanks for reminding me of all the things that I really miss!! It's still t-shirt weather here, so that makes up for it :) (not really, but I like to tell myself that)
We feel for you over here. -12 at the "warmest" part of the day. The hot chocolate industry must be making a killing!
I like you being here too. I don't think anyone really likes the cold weather but hopefully it won't last too long. I think your friendship helps make it even better here for a lot of us. You're great.
We know you're happy there (even though we'd be happy if you were here!)
Good for you for thinking positive! And I am jealous of your mature trees. :)
**KT
Sheri you are awesome! I think I really needed to read your top ten today. We just got home from Florida and needless to say have been questioning "why do we live here again?" ever since. You are so right-when you add it up, this is a great place to live and raise a family. It is definitely good friends like you that make it worth getting through the good ol' Nebraska weather :-)
Post a Comment