Derek and I recently returned from a quick trip to Vegas. My friend LeeAnn came to stay with the kids for the weekend and Derek and I took off. It was a fun trip, but I have to say not really my style. Something about walking down the oh-so crowded street being assaulted by porn just didn't do it for me. But it was still fun. Except for maybe the first night we were there... more on that later. We did some sight seeing:

And of course grabbed lunch at In and Out. After lunch we did one of my favorite things of the whole trip. We went back to the hotel and sat by the pool for 2 hours in 80+ degree weather. It was heavenly! Normally I over plan vacations, but I really can't right now, so I really enjoyed the down time.
My parents were there also, so we got to hang with them...
...as well as my brother Kevin and his wife Jennie - and having them there made the trip even more fun!
We went to the Venetian one night and did Madame Tussauds haunted wax museum with my whole family (Debbie and her kids were there, and Bret and my niece Amber were there, too). I would have liked to have seen all the wax figures in the light, but it was fun to be spooked out too.
The next morning we went to the M&M store with it's entire wall FULL of every kind of M&M ever...
...then next door to the Coke Museum. Derek and I rather like Coke, I'll admit. They have a soda fountain where you can buy a tray of different Coke drinks from around the world for $7 and we'd totally been looking forward to it. Yes, we are that dorky. (And my favorite was Manzanita from Mexico - but I already knew that because I snag it every time we're on the dive boats there.)
Kevin and Derek decided to chug the two worst tasting (and they were NASTY!) of the samples, which seemed like a funny thing to do...
...but was a bad idea. They both had stomach aches afterwards.
Backing up a bit, the first night we were there we got checked in at the Las Vegas Hilton (which we would totally stay at again) around 8:30, which is 10:30 our time and I'm preggo and tired, so we didn't do much. But we did decide to go grab some breakfast items from an Albertsons we could literally see out our window. We park and go in just as a police officer has pulled these two guys over. 15 minutes later we come out and they are taping off the parking lot with their yellow tape and our rental car is still right in the middle of it. Ummm... hello!?! The stupid guys they pulled over for drinking had packets of "white powdery substance" in their pockets and one of the guys threw them on the ground (because he's a genius, obviously) and they had to call in hazmat to make sure it wasn't anthrax or something. Shockingly an hour and 20 minutes later it turned out to be drugs. I chalked it up to just part of our Vegas experience. I don't think Derek took it in such positive light. (The Rangers blowing their lead in the World Series right then didn't help either.)
Undead Elvis was supposed to marry them, so imagine all of our surprise when the Grim Reaper emerged from a coffin to perform the ceremony. If you closed your eyes, the things he said were very nice, but it was still the Grim Reaper.
I am very happy for my sister. Kirk is a great guy and we like him a lot.
Everyone wore costumes. The blond Marilyn Monroe is my sister's friend from High School, Jodi, who flew out to be there and we got to hang out with her all weekend. She's great.
We had dinner at the Mirage Craving's Buffet then walked down to the Bellagio to see the fountains go off. It was to the music of "One" (singular sensation...) and I loved it! How could you not be happy watching something like that?!!?
Then we walked back to the Mirage for the Cirque du Soleil show Beatles Love. Derek is a huge Beatles fan and this show has gotten amazing reviews. Tickets were outrageous and we were sitting in, literally, the last row, but it didn't matter because half the show is in the air so every seat in the house was good. We loved it. The artistry, the dancing, the acrobatics and, of course, the music. It was a fabulous way to end our trip!
The entire reason we went to Vegas was for my sister, Debbie's, wedding to Kirk. It was at the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel and was a Halloween theme.
2 comments:
fun for you! you look great, btw!
Aha! We were trying to figure out why you were in Vegas! Um, that would be very weird to be married by the Grim Reaper, but hey, that's a memory you can't replace!!! :) Dustin and I are going in December for our anniversary, and we have tickets to see Blue Man Group and the Lion King (which we're taking my parents to!) We're excited.
Post a Comment