Tuesday, June 1, 2010

10 years ago and now

10 Years ago Memorial Day weekend Derek and I got engaged. Derek was selling pest control for the summer and I was working in medical records getting ready to go to Jerusalem. Derek's proposal didn't go as planned, but at least he said all the right things and, most importantly, was smart enough to buy the ring I REALLY wanted. It doesn't seem like that long about but funny how things change - then we were students and the only things we had to worry about were ourselves, now we have 3 kids, a mortgage and everything that goes with it.

This Memorial Day we went to Kansas City and stayed with our friends the Buells. We had a great time and perfect weather while we were there. Saturday we went swimming with the kids:




...and to the Deanna Rose Farmstead in Overland Park. I love this place, it's sort of like Vala's Pumpkin Patch but not over priced. They have a petting zoo, huge playgrounds, pony rides, a fishing pond etc. Our "big boys" loved feeding the baby and daddy goats:


That night we went to our friends the Bates, where we stuffed ourselves, made s'mores and played pinochle. Here are Bryce, Haley and Austin:
Every Sunday before Memorial Day there is a free concert put on by the symphony at Union Station followed by a fireworks show. It's a great event that we always enjoy, but it was really hard to drag three kids there... as you can see by the grumpy face in the picture. We went with the Buells, of course, and met up with about 5 other families from our old ward in KC. We really love Kansas City. It was a great place to live, a fun place to visit and we still have great friends there. I'm so glad we live close enough to enjoy all it has to offer.
This is the WWI Memorial - 2 years ago the last surviving WWI veteran attended this event - and he's still alive at 109 years old and is an activist for a WWI Momument to be built on the mall in Washington D.C. Until that happens, I'm glad we can visit this one and remember how freedom isn't free. Did you know more than 4.5 million people served in WWI, more than Vietnam and Korea combined?
Monday we drove home, with poor Chase crying for a good part of the way, and had an awesome BBQ with our friends the Thompsons, Giorgis's and Moores, no pictures - too busy eating (again). =) It was a great weekend.

2 comments:

Nan said...

Happy anniversary of your engagement. I'd like to hear the story of how it didn't go as planned.

Maren and Dustin said...

Ah yes, the real engagement…as opposed to the fake one in April…

K, I know you have 2 kids in your lap, but you look amazing! I am feeling, in full force, the unsightliness of my pregnancy. It probably wouldn't be so bad, except I still have months (yes, plural) to go. :(