We're all guilty, because we've all done it. It is a socially acceptable lie. Every pregnant woman has heard, "You look great" knowing full well the truth is that they don't, or that the statement should be followed by "...considering you've gained 40 pounds, are retaining water and slightly resemble a hippopotamus." And it seems the more pregnant and miserable the woman is, the more she hears how wonderful she looks, and how very much worse the complimenter looked at the same stage of pregnancy.
Today, in the first 15 minutes at church, I heard, "You look beautiful", "Did you do something different with your hair?" and "You look so good, I can't believe you're here". I knew then I must really look bad. Then one of the more outspoken Beehives (12-13 year old girls) passed me in the hall and said, with genuine concern for my well being, "Oh Sister Neeley, are you OK? You look awful. (while touching her cheek)"
A small part of me considered being offended. But most of me felt like someone was finally telling me the truth and that my own mentality had been vindicated. I stopped, looked at her, and said, "Thank you" and walked off. Several of my friends had over heard this (and were horrified) and when they asked me to repeat what had just happened, I laughed until I cried (again). Honestly - I still think it's hilarious. Leave it to a teenager to tell you the truth.
3 years ago
7 comments:
That's awesome!!! I always hated hearing that when I was pregnant...but when I say it to other people I really mean it!
That is great! Ahh, the tact of a 12 year old. Just don't be ticked at that girl when in another 3 months she asks you why you still look fat. :)
I always thinks everyone looks better than I do when I'm at that point of the pregnancy because I'm not feeling everything they are feeling and they truly do look better than I do (easy when your not the one pregnant). Okay, I don't think any of that made sense. Sorry. Good luck.
I say bring on the "white lies". I'd much rather people tell me I look great, than say "You look like you are about ready to pop!" Good luck!
I knew I was in trouble when people were asking at about 25 weeks if I was having twins...and then I outgrew many maternity clothes. Good luck - I hope you make it this last little while. I have enjoyed "catching up" with your family through your blog since it is now almost 4 years since we left Texas.
That's hilarious and awful all at the same time!
About a month before I delivered my last baby, I got to church (after having a major outfit crisis with tons of tears b/c I was so huge) and the bishops wife said, "are you okay? You look really tired." I just cried and cried--right there at the beginning of sacrament meeting. I was too upset to walk out so I just bent over as much as my 37 week belly would let me and cried and cried. I am sure everybody saw me but who cares! You can do whatever you want when you are that pregnant, right?
ha ha! You are funny. The truth is that while you never look as bad as you claim, I think it was the look of sheer misery on your face Sunday that worried us all! :) You were just ready to get that boy out!!
Post a Comment