Sunbathing jaundiced newborns.
When Austin had jaundice we put him in the sun just like the doctors, nurses and EVERYONE told us to. It helps, right? I looked at my perfect new baby sitting in the sun with his fresh to the world skin and instantly didn't like it, so we looked up how long we needed to leave him there to get any benefit. Imagine our shock when we found links like these:
From the CDC:
From the American Academy of Pediatrics:
Yahaoo Health:
I'll save you from having to click the links. What do they say about putting newborns in the sun?
DON'T DO IT!
We whisked Austin out of the sun so fast and I refuse to ever sunbathe another baby. My question is, if the AAP doesn't recommend it, why am I still being told to do it? I think it's because it makes parents feel like they are doing something to "help", even though it's dangerous and some of the sites I looked at question whether it's effective or not. Needless to say, I smile politely when people talk about putting their babies in the sun, but it's advice I'm quick to dismiss. Thanks anyway!
7 comments:
Both my guys had jaundice too, but I never had to use one of those light things. (He does look like a glow worm!) Hope he gets it all out of his system quick so you can go back to doing your job without all the extra hassles.
The thing that always drives me crazy is that I have to haul my newborn into the doc for blood tests everyday (for levels that have never even come close to being dangerous) so that after a couple of days they can tell me, "Looks like he's doing fine now." Really, no duh, I could have stayed at home all week and everyone would have been so much happier (including my wallet for all the stupid blood work!) Can you tell I'm not excited to have to do this again, which I probably will this summer! :)
Oh man, I hate those dang lights. I'm sure mom told you about Isabella's experience with the lights. Longest night of my life! Actually I should rephrase that. Longest night of my mom's life. She stayed up all night and held her hand while she was under the lights. It was the only thing that kept her from crying.
They stress you out so much about putting sunscreen on your babies and keeping them in the shade, but a little jaundice? let them cook in the sun for a few hours. huh?
P.S. He is so dang cute and looks like Bryce and Austin. Freaked me out a little because it made me want to have a really little one again. Not yet!
Scottie had one of those bili-blankets for jaundice. I had to take him to the doctor to get his blood checked, I like the idea of the home health nurse coming to the house! I hope you are feeling well. Did Derek get paternaty (how do you spell that?)? I hope so.
When McKay had jaundice everyone told me the same thing - put him in the sun. Stupid. It only took a short time for me to shake off my birth-induced insanity and get him out of the sun. Way to go drawing attention to this!
My goodness. I picked the wrong time to not be a blog checker!
First of all- congratulations on Chase. He is absolutely beautiful- just like your other boys. I am so proud of you for making it such a long time without an epidural. And I'm so proud of you for getting an epidural too. And I can't believe how "textbook" your deliveries are (meaning- on time).
As for jaundice. I swear- doesn't every baby get it? We've yet to experience the glow-worm blanket. I am shocked to hear that sunbathing is advised by the hospital and not advised by the AAP. (Can you tell I can't spell reccomended? I cleverly chose advised.)
I hope that the little glow-worm blanket has a sleep-inducing effect. You deserve a sleeper for once.
Congratulations! Hugs to you all!
I totally agree with you. I love it when they recommend something because of tradition but it is not safe. Way to be an informed mom.
Post a Comment