Chase was the second of my babies to be born on his due date, and the other was 5 hours early, so Derek and I really were expecting an on time delivery. He didn't disappoint. The day before he was due I woke up and knew I'd be going into labor soon. After 2 other babies I know my bodies tell tale signs. That night I was making dinner and the boys were going bonkers, the phone was ringing, I was exhausted from a day of
essential closet reorganizing, Derek was on his way home and I was contracting, but I just didn't have time to pay attention to it right then. After dinner was done and cleaned up I finally sat down and was having contractions 5 minutes apart. At 8:38 I told Derek I was in labor, and got my bag packed, did laundry (once again - essential!) and let my friends who were helping overnight and in the morning know that today was the day. By this time I was about 3 minutes apart. I think my friend Lora wanted to drive me to the hospital herself by that point, but sadly my labors just don't go that quickly.
Around 1 am things were getting more serious and I got the shakes so I knew we'd better head to the hospital. Here I am right before we left:

When I got there I was 5-6 cm, so I stupidly declined an epidural, thinking things would go quickly from there on. Did you know running a half marathon does
not mean you can do natural childbirth? Silly me, I thought I could. After 3 hours of sitting on a birthing ball I was still only a 6 and I was done. Epidurals are bliss. By this time it was 4am and I slept until 7, when I woke up to tons of pressure and it was time to have a baby. Except my doctor wasn't there, so we had to wait for her. She came in, broke my water and 2 contractions later Chase was born!


I'm not very particular about things when I'm in labor and delivering, but I do request a mirror to see the birth and no stirrups (I think they were invented by a man to make childbirth easier for him and more humiliating for women). The nurses had their own request - that after he was born (and cleaned up) that I go "skin to skin" with him. I'd heard of moms doing this, but it had never been suggested with my other two, and honestly it sounded weird to me, but they said it would help his body temp regulate, so sure - why not. I
LOVED IT! Now I'm mad I missed out on it with my other boys because it was so sweet to have his little body curled up right next to me. He had a hard time maintaining his body temperature as the day went on, so darn it I had to keep him next to me! =)
Later that afternoon Derek brought the other boys to the hospital to meet Chase. The first time I saw this:

I thought to myself, "Holy cow, they're all mine!"
It was a little overwhelming.
After a few minutes of swooning over their new brother,

they
proceeded to terrorize the hospital room.

The poor nurses just had to
ignore any flashing help lights coming from my room while the boys were visiting.

So far Chase is a sweet baby. Bryce and Austin were both sweet too, but Austin had so many problems with reflux, ear infections, and a dairy allergy, but the worst of all was the CONSTANT, spitting up. I promise, he was one of the worst
pukers ever, both in the massive amounts he spit up and the frequency - think 3 dozen times a day... I can deal with everything else, I just really don't want to be puked on for the next year, and so far Chase is keeping it down.
Hooray,
hooray!!

We are so happy he's here. Truly, as much as I hate pregnancy - this makes EVERYTHING worth it.
10 comments:
I hope I get to meet him soon.
Your story made me cry. I love it. Congratulations. Doesn't it just feel so good to say, "I'm not pregnant anymore!!!"?
He is so your kid! I'm kinda overwhelmed by that picture of your boys... I can't believe they're all yours!!!!! :) You may have slow labors, but you can always just pop them out. Even with Jensen I pushed for 15 or 20 minutes! Hope that you're continuing to feel good and that he's continuing to be a sweet baby!
The biggest congratulations to you and Derek! He is sooo cute. I love that picture of your 3 boys. What a great shot! And I'm glad he's not puking like Austin. My Tyler was a big puker too and I'm praying this little girl isn't when she comes out. :)
I love labor stories. Is that weird? I so hope that he does well for you. I hope he sleeps well and his tummy does well. I think the only bad thing about babies is that they grow up so darn fast. Enjoy him!
Hooray for not being pregnant anymore! Your pictures are making me miss emmie being a newborn...so sweet. And btw, I can't believe how awesome you look when you are in labor! :)
Well congrats guys - super cute - can't wait to meet him!
What a sweetie! I wish we lived closer so our kids could play :)
Congratulations! He's a Neeley cutie for sure. Your labor story sounded a lot like my first (except for the 2 pushes). After that I always welcomed the epidural with open arms! You're still beautiful even when pregnant - don't scoff, it's true:)
He is so beautiful. I just love snuggling that little boy.
Post a Comment