In February my SIL Jennie invited me and our other SIL, Tammie, to run the 20K with her. I emailed back - "Ya right". I am not a runner. I don't like running. I'm not good at running. I didn't want to do it. She emailed back something along the lines of, "That's fine, I know you're not a runner." But what I heard was, "You can't do it and we can." Dumb, I know. It didn't help that my loving husband also mocked me for even thinking about it, as if it were soooooo impossible for me to do.

(me, Tammie and Jennie)
So I started "running" and I couldn't do one lousy stinking mile, even at 5.5 on the treadmill. But I kept doing it - all the time the idea of showing everyone wrong pushing me further. And this went on for a couple months. Then I did my first "long" run - 6 miles. It was awful. I hated every second of it. I hurt and the whole time all I could think of was how stupid I was for thinking I could do this along with a string of negative thoughts to go with it. I was so discouraged I didn't do another long run until 4 weeks before the race. Afterwards, I got in my car and cried, and then called Jennie and wailed to her about the absurdity of my efforts.
This was when I knew I needed to call in the big guns and my friend Lora volunteered to help me out. This girl can run and talk AT THE SAME TIME. Amazing. I have no idea how she does it. All I could do was try to keep up with her and give one word answers. If I tried to tell a story we had to stop and walk afterwards because I winded myself so badly. Having a running buddy was great for me though because it stopped the strain of negative thoughts that inevitably creeped into my brain.
I was reading Runner's World while I was training and came across a quote from Natalie Coughlin, the Olympic swimmer. She said that she was used to "being in her head" from swimming, so that aspect of running wasn't difficult for her. A light came on for me. I wasn't used to being in my own head. I was (am?) a gymnast. Our routines last 1 minute and 30 seconds, max., and it's better if you aren't in your head because logic tells you flipping around like that is bound to get you hurt. I'd never had to deal with this. Wow.
So running got easier - sort of. Then race day came. Two of my sweet friends gave me race care packages that were so awesome! My SIL's and I got up at 4:30 and it was raining, but by 6:30 it was beautiful. We started running and everything was great, until around mile 4 when Jennie, who was supposed to be our group leader and pace setter, very suddenly dropped out because she was sick. Tammie and I kept going and finished together, and Jennie came across about 20 minutes later.
There were funny things that happened along the way - at mile 11 the guy right in front of me ran to the side and hurled - which I really didn't need to see. There were bands on the side of the road and one was playing Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" which made me think of my goofy friend Eric (a.k.a.midnight man), at the top of a hill around mile 9.5 an army drill sergeant yelled at us to "GET THE LEAD OUT, YOU DON'T WALK IN A RACE, MOVE YOUR A$$" which made me laugh. At one point I was struggling when I made eye contact with a guy on the side of the road who then yelled, "Good job 5110 (my #), keep going". All these things helped me get through it. At the end Tammie was really struggling and I think that I felt like I needed to keep it light for her and keep her going, which in turn made it easier for me. And then Derek and the boys met me at the finish line - which felt so good.
(I'm in the blue shorts, running towards the finish line)
(me and Tammie)
Anyway - if you're still reading my rambling, it was a great race. I can't believe I did it. I didn't think I could. For months my mind and my body were telling me no no no, but it was a yes. I learned a lot about myself training for this race. I didn't expect going into it how much different I'd be at the end. I can't wait to do it with these women next year!
16 comments:
Congratulations! That is awesome that you completed such a long race. Very Impressive!
I"m so proud of you!!! I ran a half marathon when we were sophomores and I agree, you really do learn a lot about yourself. Afte all these years I'm starting to have the desire to do it again. You inspire me!
Congratulations! That is so great. And I am totally jealous of how skinny you are! A few months ago I remembered that it was a goal of mine in HS to run 10 miles--never did it. Then with all your talk about running, and I just found out my sister is training for a marathon, I want to get back into running. I love it--I wish you were here to run with. You were my favorite running partner.
Good job Sheri! What an accomplishment!
Awesome!
You are amazing! I started training for a 1/2 marathon a couple years ago, but kept having so much joint pain, I had to quit. So, congratulations--it is a great accomplishment!
GOOD JOB!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! IT IS SUCH AN ACCOMPLISHMENT AND A FEELING OF EMPOWERMENT. I DID A HALF MARATHON BEFORE I HAD DALLIN, AND I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN SHAPE AND DO IT AGAIN. THAT CAN BE MY GOAL FOR NEXT YEAR. WE CAN BE RUNNING BUDDIES!!
Sheri I'm so proud of you.
(Read:How could you choose to run over walking? Running is horrible, and so much less enjoyable than walking! I thought we were above all this running business!)
(Now Read: I'm insanely jealous...but I still love you.)
Maren
Awesome Sheri. It brought tears to my eyes reading it. You are my hero. I want to be like you when I grow up. (you are older than me, right?) Ben has decided to run the Cow-town next year. We'll see...
You are so tough. You have become one awesome runner in the 4 short weeks we had since that first run. Way to go. I am so proud of you. Next year, I am definitely going to the race with you.
Nice work Lance. Nice work. I'm proud of you!
Good job Sheri! I am so impressed! Awesome. You look great!
**KT
You did dam good!! Sorry- couldn't resist. ;)
Congratulations! Don't you feel like you could do just about anything? Very inspiring story- I think my favorite is the army sargeant. Too funny!
Congrats! I hate running too - I would rather swim 5 miles than run it - so I think it is awesome that you ran a 20k - good job!
I am soooo proud of you! And Jennie and Tammie! What an accomplishment.
Thanks for pointing me to this! I had no idea about your story. When you'd said on FB that you were running the race I was excited for you but had no idea what you went through to get there. Way to go! What is next?
Post a Comment