Saturday, June 13, 2009

Austin's Big Ow

This week the boys and I went out to my brother Bret's house, which is about an hour away from us, for a couple days. I was there to help with the kids while he was at work and Tammie was at girls camp. While we were there Austin picked up a small decorative cast iron pan and dropped it on his toe.

He screamed.
His big toenail came completely off.
Blood gushed from a 1/2 inch cut where the nail should have been.
Four other little boys were jumping around me wanting breakfast.
I ignored them.
I called Uncle Bret, who also happens to be Dr. Bret, who happened to be working in the ER.
He said to bring him in and to just go right to his office.

So I headed to the hospital with Austin where Bret had to numb the toe and put 3 stitches in. It needed a 4th, but the thread broke and Austin was hysterical by this point and it was pretty tough to get the needle in the right place in such a small, wiggling, toe. The worst part was I was holding him and he turned clear around and looked at me with the most betrayed look on his face that very clearly said, "Why are you letting them do this to me?" My poor boy.

So my baby's toe is a disaster. But he's done really well with it. He's very into everyone else's toes now though, and every now and then points to his own toe and reminds us, "Ow, Yuck".

6 comments:

Trinity said...

Oh no!! Poor little boy. That isn't much reward for your tending kids huh? Where is the break man!? ;) I need to come see your kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Poor baby.

**KT

Karebear said...

Where's the pictures?

Oh, and sorry little guy!

Julia Buell said...

Poor little toe! I am just waiting for one of my kids to do something like that.

Jessica said...

Ugh! That makes me cringe just thinking about it. I think I would have passed out--I'm such a wimp when it comes to my kids getting hurt. Thanks for NOT posting a picture!

Janie said...

That totally stinks! How lucky your brother was close by. That's a lot of stitches in a little toe though! Glad he's feeling better.