What was my repair, you ask? The anchor for my baby seat on the back of the bike wasn't working and I needed a new screw or the hole fixed or something.
A guy, whose name I'm certain was Butch, went to work on my bike. I could tell Butch was one of the more senior employees the store had. He was probably, at least, 26 and even had a slight recession going on in his shaved hair, but it was hard to notice it too much because I was admiring his impressing collection of earrings and chains. He had one of those plastic rings in his ear that made the hole really big and then had a silver hoop though it. Very cool. Then another baby faced employee came out to help and I realized that no one over the age of, well, Butch, was allowed to work there.
And here I was, wondering how I got to be so OLD, wondering exactly why I wanted a baby seat on the back of my bike, and realizing that these boys weren't looking at me like an athletic, cool mom who wants to ride with my boys, but instead as a mini-van driving, suburban soccer mom who can't figure out the baby seat on the back of my crappy bike.
The only saving grace was that Butch was even having a hard time with the anchor and took him a good 20 minutes to sort it out. The entire time, I'm waiting there, feeling very intimidated, trying not to look as uncool as I felt, with an intense desire to go pierce...something. When it was finally done Butch didn't even charge me. I don't know if it was sympathy at my dorkiness or embarrassment that he, too, couldn't figure out the baby seat, but I threw some cash in the tip jar and quickly took my bike back to my mom-mobile. Oh well, at least now I can ride with my boys, even if I am a dork.
4 comments:
I bet it took Butch 10 minutes because he was checking you out. And he even got tipped to do it!
And no dissin' the family vehicle. Even though frequently think that my car is a mini-van.
Hello... the doors swing... they don't slide.
I've been to a few bike shops with Eric and I felt the same way...mind you I was still in my early 20's with no kids, but it was still awkward! At least you didn't have your kids with you tearing all through the store! (It would have made the story that much better, though, I gotta admit.)
I feel your pain! I have never felt more "30 something,soccer momish" than this year. Kudos for riding your bike - I need to get one of those baby seats on the back!
Ha ha ha! Your post has totally cracked me up. And yes, I am feeling the same thing. 30 years old really likes to punch you in the face.
Loved the post.
**KT
Post a Comment