Since Derek and I started planning our trip to Mexico we have had a lot of comments regarding our safety while traveling to such a "dangerous" country. A lot of comments. Since we have been home I've been told I am naive and reckless for both traveling and diving. And since this is my blog and I can, I'm venting.
I do not think I am a naive traveler. My dad worked for the airline my entire life. My first solo trip was from Salt Lake City to Seattle when I was in the 4th grade. After we moved to Washington when I was 15 I frequently traveled back to Sioux Falls by myself. During that time I missed connections, didn't get on full flights and once was stranded by a blizzard and spent the night in Minneapolis. By myself. I was 17.
Internationally, I have traveled to 8 European countries, Israel, Jordan, Egypt, The Bahamas and Mexico. I lived in Jerusalem when peace talks were failing. Derek lived in England for two years, traveled through Europe, and lived for 2 years in Guatemala. But apparently the media has done a great job of terrifying the American public. I was told, "Shame one you. You're taking your life in your hands" going there. However, Omaha has 4 times the violent crime rate as Cozumel, so by the same standard I am doing the same every time I leave my house living here. Would I feel safe in some areas of Mexico City or in border towns - no, not so much. But to categorize all of Mexico and it's people as dangerous is inaccurate.
Whenever I travel, whether it's internationally or not, I am always careful and aware of my surroundings. I checked the State Department's travel advisories before going to Mexico. We have a will in place. Terrible things happen anywhere. Scary things have happened to me while traveling, but they've happened to me here too. And as far as diving goes - we spent hours and hours becoming certified and we dive with a reputable shop with an excellent safety record. I never once felt unsafe under the water or on top.
We had a great trip. I would recommend it to anyone. And for those who let fear stand in the way of rational thought and verifiable facts, that's fine. But I don't want to hear about it.
3 years ago
4 comments:
I love you Sheri and I love this! I wouldn't call you reckless or naive ever. We are going on a trip this summer too, so I am glad to hear this from you. I check the State Departments travel advisories all the time too. If I get any guff from people I am going to send them to your blog! :)
kt
Well said. Your trip sounded amazing! I'm impressed with your diving skills :o). Now you just need to get a cool underwater camera so that you can take pictures of all the cool things you see underwater. And then you can share them with those of us who are a little afraid of the ocean!
Amen!! Those who wish to live in fear can hold down the fort while I travel the world!
And they had better not complain that they just can't travel like I do...because it's all about prioritizing. Knowing how much you and Derek have going on, I commend you both!
Happy traveling, Sheri!
You can't live your life in fear. You gotta do what you enjoy doing.
Post a Comment