One of the traditions here in Nebraska is for the Winter Quarters Visitor's Center to have a Gingerbread House Display every December. Church members from all over Nebraska and Iowa make their Gingerbread Creations and bring them to the Visitor's Center in Florence. To limit these creations to houses would not do some justice. Yes, there are lots of houses looking exactly like what you would expect, but some individuals go ALL OUT and the end results are AMAZING!
Here are Derek and the boys at the Visitor's Center entrance.
Gingerbread is a big deal here, at least to us Mormons. Each ward actually calls someone to be the Ward Gingerbread Specialist. I'm sure by making light of the sacred tradition of Gingerbread in Nebraska I am dooming myself to be called to it (the joke would really be on them seeing my lack of creative talent), but this is our third winter here and I still find it a little odd.
We did venture to the Visitor's Center to see it one night. Note to self - taking a two year old into a room full of candy he CAN'T eat is not the best idea.Here are two "houses" I really liked:
Even the animals on this are made of some sugary substance
Bryce the Gingerbread Boy:
4 comments:
Seriously? They really do this? I am a fan of gingerbread-- I probably ate my weight worth of it this December. How fun~and interesting!!
That is a little odd. But fun. I once made a gingerbread lighthouse when I was in school. It was awesome.
Next time just bribe your kids with a few suckers to eat afterwards...my kids always go for suckers.
I loved the Noah's ark one. We may have to try that next year.
Sheri! Are you guys freezing up there?! I've been wondering about you! Surely you are snowed in?
Post a Comment