Friday, August 14, 2009

Movie Night

Derek and I went to see Julie and Julia at the movie theatre tonight. What can I say about this movie other than I loved it. The first half was definitely better than the last, but it was so fun and so charming. Meryl Streep is amazing. Is there anything that woman can't do? Watching the movie you are transported to Paris with the Julia Child. Stanley Tucci, who plays opposite her, is equally great. I don't think he's terribly attractive, but they had such great chemistry that he was able to pull of a performance where he was quite appealing. And The Food, OH THE FOOD! I honestly left hungry and with serious heartburn - no joke.
I consider myself a bit of a foodie, albeit a bit of a picky one, so obviously the cooking and eating portion of the movie was going to appeal to me, but there was more. I could relate so much to those characters. There's a scene with lobsters where I started laughing so hard I cried and then couldn't stop crying.
The movie opens with Julie (Amy Adams) having just moved to a new place, where she wonders if she's made a huge mistake and how she can get back the life she knew. I've been there - I cried on my couch for 2 weeks after moving to Austin wondering what we'd done and how we could undo it.
Then the scene takes us to Paris with Julia (Streep) where she's a bored housewife looking for something to fill her time, so she keeps trying all these things until one day her husband asks what she loves and she says, "To eat". That's me! And hello - I was the bored housewife, trying everything I could get my hands, on for 4 years!

And what do Julie and Julia (and Sheri) turn to which brings them happiness? Food, of course. Yes - I get it, I love it, and I'm not the only one!!!!! Julie and Julia were insanely more talented, and patient, than I am in the kitchen (perhaps because neither of them had 2 little helpers) but I saw a desire in those characters that I'm familiar with. In summary, I really enjoyed the movie. Hope you see it and love it too.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I'm glad to hear you liked the movie. I was interesed in seeing it, but hadn't heard much about it yet...I'll definitely have to check it out now.

Thayerclan said...

oh I'm hungry just reading your post! I'll have to see the movie now :) I can't believe you drove to spokane!!! Amazing! I'm home now but before I left I got myself a big 'ol sunday at Dockside. Delish! Love :)
Jilly

jessica said...

I've been so excited to see this movie...I'm glad to hear you loved it!

Briann said...

Isn't it funny now I will have 2 cute nephews with the same cute name and both with dark hair! Its kind of funny though because his initials will be BOB (Bryce Owen Barnum)

Niki said...

I want to see that movie so bad, so I'm glad to hear it was good. Did Derek like it (because I'm sure I'll have to convince Grant to see it)? I'm so glad you get to come home every year. I love our visits. I especially am grateful for this last one. I think you saved Lydia a lot of pain and suffering and me a lot of stress. I really count it as a miracle that we had that conversation. By the way, I take her to the GI doc on Friday--I'll keep you posted.