This past Sunday we were doing good. I love being in Young Women's, which is first. Austin went to nursery with only moderate hysteria, and for the first time since we moved into the ward I got to go to Sunday School (Derek is in Primary the first two hours). Then Sacrament meeting started. We'd forgotten the backpack with the "quite" toys in it. Thank goodness some Hot Wheels had some how made it into my bag. But the sippy cup also hadn't made it, and before the opening song even started Austin was wildly demanding milk, which then reminded Bryce that he was also dying of thirst. Two trips out to the drinking fountain later, his entire shirt was soaked. Then Austin decided he wasn't going to stay in the pew. For those who haven't met Austin, he is rather vocal about what he wants, and these "requests" are usually given through loud, nasal screeches. So he and I headed out to the foyer, meeting waterlogged Bryce on the way. Derek joined us out there 20 minutes later and we headed home. I should have felt guilty - but I didn't. We all went home happy. We weren't exhausted. Nobody had a headache. We had a nice afternoon together. I wondered - why do we do this to ourselves every week?
And then I remembered.
None of this would be worth it if it weren't true. The church asks so much from every aspect of our lives. But the thing is - we've gotten so much back in return. So why do I do what I do? Because I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true. And because of that, I'll give, I'll do, I'll go, and I'll be a better person for it and my family will be happier because of it. I'll take the bad with all the good. So - I'm off to load up the Sunday bag with quiet books, sippy cups and pipe cleaners. See you there!
6 comments:
Having sacrament meeting last is a very bad idea. Who ever gets to set the schedule in your stake must not have any small children.
Sacrament meeting is rough...we've started trying to sit by a family that has slightly older children and then slowly letting them take care of our children (not very nice, but it works:) I'm bringing pipe cleaners next week...that's genius!
I agree with you 100%. And then the time slot is horrible too. What kid does not nap at sometime during that time? It is hard, but worth it in the end...so I have been told. Hang in there.
We have a hard time keeping Scott entertained during Sacrament meeting. Anna will color and be fine. Scott is done coloring in about two seconds. I can't bring toys because they are too loud or at least the sound effects he makes for them are too loud. I am a lost with this boys. So...pipe cleaners, anything else?
Great post Sheri. I agree that Sacrament should never be last and if it must be last, it should NEVER be last for the 1 pm group. But your idea about pipe cleaners is genius! I'm trying it after conference weekend!
Thanks for a little inspiration today. It is hard taking children to church, whether for an hour or for 3 hours, but perseverance pays--and I believe that with all my heart.
Post a Comment