
Click here for pictures
We got back a few days ago from spending 7 days Cozumel. Here are some highlights:
The first day we were there I was totally overwhelmed (sleep deprivation from a 6am flight contributed to this). I didn't speak the language, we didn't have the right money and I didn't know my way around. By the end of the week I was ready to pack up our kids and move there!
Cozumel was SO clean! There were no mangy dogs or garbage filled lots like there were for Derek in Guatemala and me in Israel. The people were so friendly with the exception of the stores right by the cruise ship docks - those people were pushy and annoying.
Carnaval was going on while we were there. 4 nights of parades and fireworks. Every float had it's own sound system pumping out the loudest music they could find. Most adults in the parade were drinking while performing! It was really fun.
Speaking of adult beverages, Derek had his first taste of alcohol EVER! Apparently "virgin pina colada" didn't translate well.
We spent most of our time on the dive boat and loved it. I'm a terrible diver. I get cold and nervous and am still working on being "neutrally buoyant". I sucked down my air like a 250 pound man. During three dives our awesome dive master, Antonio, shared his air with me so I could stay down longer. I improved by the end. Diving was incredible - I'll never snorkel again!
I received psychological help on our trip. A fellow diver was a psychologist and when I told him how I suck down my air (this greatly concerned some fellow divers) he started giving me advice on how to calm anxieties. I must really come off as high strung. His advice really worked though. I have his website.
We now have dive friends. It made the trip even better!
We ate the best food. And it was pretty cheap. Two nights in a row we ate at a places called Los Otates, and with drink and tip it came to about $11 (or 130 pesos). I am currently undergoing avacado withdrawl.
My kids didn't miss me at all. Apparently, Aunt Jennie is way more fun than I am!
Derek got an ear infection our last day there. His flight home was miserable. He's never sick, but last summer he got pink eye on vacation and now this. I guess he's getting juvenile illness now - what's next, Chicken Pox?
It was a perfect trip, everything we were hoping for and more. I'd go back in a heartbeat, however I think Belize is calling me next - there's a better chance of seeing sharks there!
8 comments:
What a FUN trip!! The pictures were great. I think that is so funny that Derek had his first taste of alcohol from a "virgin pina colada". John had that exact same thing happen on our honeymoon in Jamaca
It sounds like you had a fun trip. I am so glad you guys enjoyed yourself and had a great time
Hahaha!! Did I ever tell you about my "virgin" mango daiquiri?? Yeah, my date was learning Spanish and we went to a Mexican restaurant. He asked Jose, the waiter, for a virgin mango daiquiri (ummm...I just said that in Spanish, could you tell?). Anyway, he kept saying "virgin, virgin" and pointing to me.
I think the waiter thought he was TRYING to say, "She's a virgin, so load it up with as much alcohol as you can so...ya know...."
Needless to say, I noticed, pretty quick, that it tasted a little "off" and told my date that I would let Jose know, myself. "Sin alcohol" goes a lot farther in Spanish-speaking countries than "virgin." Unless you're talking about Mary....
And you would want to see sharks because...? I'm so glad you guys had fun. (Don't move there, though- that would be way too far!)
I'm glad you enjoyed Cozumel. That was one of our stops on our cruise and we didn't enjoy it that much. 5 house just isn't long enough to get to know a foreign city. Maybe I need to give Cozumel a second chance.
What a great trip! I'm jealous! It sounds like you had a fabulous time. How nice to have a fun trip just for the 2 of you. I loved the pictures
How fun for you! I'm so jealous!
How awesome! What an amazing trip! Glad you had fun.
Post a Comment