A few weeks ago was the Father Son Campout. Every year Derek starts by saying he's just going to go out for the evening and then come home, and every year they spend the night.
This year it was cold outside.
Really cold.

And super windy. One family's tent, which was staked down, blew into the lake. It was 38 degrees over night. And my guys still stayed out there. In the morning, Austin cried for an hour because he was cold, then climbed into the car and stayed there until it was time to go home. They pulled into the driveway at 8:30 a.m. But if you ask the boys, they had a great time!

And this is a quick memory of mine. One year when I was little, my dad and brothers went on the campout and my mom and her friends took their girls to
Minerva's restaurant in Sioux Falls. This was the nicest restaurant I'd ever been to. I just couldn't believe they brought out that big basket of bread FOR FREE! My friend
Amy and I were just beside ourselves at how grown up we were! I told my mom I remembered doing this and she said, with a sigh, "Oh, I loved Minerva's."
4 comments:
Love the shout out! Wasn't that the night I slept over and you abandoned me to go sleep in your mom's bed??
Our boys didn't stay over night because it was 80 degrees the night of our Father and Sons. :) (And because Dustin had to work the next morning, and because he's a camping wuss.) I also loved having time with just my mom when my dad & brothers would go. :)
Father's and Son's campouts are always cold. I guess it's because May is unpredictable. Good for them for sticking it out and having fun at the same time.
What a great memory--Minerva's with all the women! And remember how there always seemed to be a thunder storm somewhere over the campground where the guys were camping in the Hieleson Hilton!
Post a Comment