Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Story - just because

I like watching Survivor and this year there's this guy named Coach who is just crazy. Possibly the craziest they've ever had on the show. And I don't think he realizes he's crazy, which is the funniest part. Which made me think of this story:

When I was in labor with Austin I passed out right after I got my epidural. I'm not afraid of needles or anything, but while they were putting it in I told my nurse I was feeling light headed. She didn't really do anything about it and then walked out of the room with the anesthesiologist, leaving me with Derek and my Other-Mother LeeAnn, an experienced L&D nurse. I promptly passed out. I eventually came to and I guess my blood pressure had dropped.

Fast forward two days.

It's the morning I'm leaving the hospital with my brand new baby and I started getting light headed and I thought I was going to pass out again. So I called my nurse and all I could get out was, "I don't feel right". But by the time she got my blood pressure taken it was reading normal. So.... she called in the very sweet nurse supervisor, who sat on the edge of my bed and started asking me normal health questions, but when nothing threw up any red lights she started asking questions about my family, my husband, whether I have other children, if I feel ready to go home, , etc. While she's asking these questions I'm still not feeling quite right and, of course, started to cry. But she just kept firing these weird questions about "is home a safe place" and "can I be responsible for my new baby", when it hits me:

"SHE THINKS I'M CRAZY".

So, I'm sure it doesn't shock any of you that I said, "You think I'm going crazy, don't you?" And she said, "No honey, of course not. But postpartum depression..." blah blah blah. Now, I haven't had p.p. depression, but I've dealt with some baby baby blues when I stand over the kitchen sink and cry because the leaves are falling off the trees, but here I was trying to tell them that I was passing out and they decided I was loosing it. So, I stopped crying and just started laughing. I eventually convinced her I wasn't any crazier going out of there than I was coming in, but they did delay my leaving until after I'd had lunch and taken a little nap.

5 comments:

Annalisa said...

I don't know if I've ever heard that story? It makes me laugh and feel bad fir you all at the same time. So, I haven't watched survivor yet and now I'm very interested in this week!!!

Annalisa said...

that was jen by the way! Didn't know my cousin was logged in.

Maren and Dustin said...

I hadn't heard that one either. Too funny. Was it one of those laughs were you started crying? I can just picture that!

Jeremy and Neeley said...

I always laugh when I read your posts, Sheri. I so love you for that! Jeremy and I are huge Survivor fans and we make fun of Coach during each episode pretty much the entire time. That is a great story, too. You can always feel better knowing that if you think you're going crazy, you're not. After all, crazy people don't know they're crazy...right?

ashley g. said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that was questioned by the nurses... I think they wanted to keep my kids for me... maybe I should have let them.