Friday, August 3, 2012

On the Way to Uncle Bret's Farm

I grew up out in the country in South Dakota.  When I was in 7th grade my family moved into town (of roughly 5,000 people, we had one stoplight) and I then learned I never wanted to live in the coutry again.  I don't do well with self imposed isolation.  I must have a Target within 10 minutes of my home.  I love easy access to things, I must have the things I need conveniently located.  I like having neighbors (but then again, I do have great neighbors). As Derek and I have lived in several large cities, this mode of thinking has not changed (I do not consider my current location a large city, this is as small as I want to go).

So now we have the best of both worlds, we live in the city with all things convenient, but can drive a mere one hour away to my brother's house and enjoy the country life. Bret keeps adding to his 9 acres and has a barn, several out-buildings, a beautiful house and most recently a pond.  The pond terrifies me for several reasons.  My boys love going out there and playing with their cousins. 

We went there for the 4th and there were three brand new baby goats born the day before.  Their umbilicord cords hadn't fallen off yet!  Austin looks so cute.
 Bret also has turkey, chickens and quail.
 I think the boys swam in the pond for 4 hours that day.  They have no fear - not even of the resident snapping turtle (not joking).

Bryce jumping off the dock:
 The Big Man (Bret):
 Not to be out done is Bryce:
 And Austin's ninja like moves:
 Splash!
 The anticipation:
 And the little ones playing on the beach.  Without his life jacket, Chase would drown.  The is a statement of fact.  He has tried several times.  Hence why the pond freaks me out.
That night there were fireorks in town, but we had seen an amazing show the night before at TD Ameritrade Park and my kids were wore out.  So we didn't even go.  It was still a happy 4th of July though.

2 comments:

Maren and Dustin said...

That baby goat is to die for! Also, those cute kids are something special, too! :)

And bless the person who invented kid sized life jackets!

Niki said...

I agree, the goat is so cute---I think I want one (maybe for a day). I don't know how one acquires a pond like that, but it is beautiful! Your kids are so cute (in pictures and in person).