Thursday, October 28, 2010

You're Welcome, California

Windmills have taken over the I-80 corridor in Iowa. At night they have flashing red lights at the top, so the Iowa countryside slightly resembles a string of Christmas lights. There are hundreds, maybe THOUSANDS, of them for miles. And they are HUGE.



And the power they generate travels all the way to California. Amazing, isn't it.

4 comments:

Nan said...

I've seen a few of these at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon. Iowa must get a lot of wind. Pretty amazing.

Ryanne said...

That is crazy! What do you think of them?

Sheri said...

Ryanne,
I think they're pretty cool, and the farmers make money leasing out the land that they're on, but I hate seeing the red blinking lights at night and why send it all the way to California? Why not Kansas City, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver... - a city closer??

Ryanne said...

Thanks Sheri, I was really curious. And I'm sure CA is paying the big money for all that energy, that's why its traveling so far from home.