Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chase's Baby Blessing


We blessed Chase in church today. We definitely had a healthy size group come for it. My brother's and their families both came - Kevin and Jennie have 2 girls (with #3 due in 5 weeks - why do they have all girls and we have all boys?), and Bret and Tammie came with their 4 kids. David, LeeAnn and Eric came up from KC, our friends Lora and Troy came with their 2 girls and then we had all our friends in the ward there, too. It was so nice, but we were really missing both sets of our parents.
(David, Eric, Derek, Chase, Kevin, Bret - we're missing Jadie and Jeremy from the blessing circle)

Derek was tense and antsy before the blessing. He is very stable when it comes to his emotions. Stress and fatigue show up, but rarely do I see him frazzled, nervous or anxious, so it's quite the occasion when he is. I think he was anxious about the blessing because he wanted to make sure he got it right and didn't forget anything he wanted to say. I find it very endearing (read: hubba hubba baby!). When he blessed Bryce I'm fairly certain he cut it a little short because he started to get emotional, and that was very sweet too. Derek isn't prone to being overly demonstrative or be overcome with emotion, so when it happens I really appreciate the feelings behind it. I love that man!
Back to the blessing. Right before they went up front Austin bumped the baby in the head, because that's what a good big brother does, and so Chase was yelling through most of the blessing. Not crying - yelling. He is my most vocal baby. I guess he didn't appreciate the "priesthood bounce" either. Derek did a good job not letting it get to him and it was very nice. It was structured differently than the other boys, which I found interesting. After he was done Derek held him up, as he put it "like a fish" for the congregation to see, and Chase was all red in the face and mad about the whole thing, so it was pretty funny. LeeAnn was my scribe and wrote it all down for me, which is good because I was trying to convince Austin not to scribble on his face with pen during the middle of it. The rest of the meeting was spent trying to convince one child or another to stop crying, to turn around or stop hitting his brother/cousin/me. But at least the beginning of the meeting started out on a good note.

6 comments:

Nan said...

This is choice. I'm glad your brothers were able to come. What a great family you have.

Maren and Dustin said...

Hey, your pictures won't blow up when I click on them! (But you look cute in your family picture…small, but cute!) I can't believe he's already big enough to bless. And I love the "like a fish" reference- that's great! :)

Laurie said...

it was beautiful. and i loved hearing him during the blessing.

Jenee Zirker said...

What a great family picture and you look fantastic. I glad it all went well. I'm telling you Sacrament meeting first has made all the difference at church for me. Maybe one of these days it will change for you guys. it was great to talk the other day.

Janie said...

LOL - I'm dying at the image of you trying to stop Austin from drawing on his face with a pen during Chase's blessing b/c that's how my life is. :) Chase is so cute and I just want to squeeze him!

Briann said...

Im so sorry we missed it! I wish we could have been there, what a cute family you have! Maybe Shaun and I can make a trip out there, since we don't have a job yet :)