I've tried to post several times over the past couple weeks, but every time I started writing I felt like I was coming across as a whiny cry baby and deleted what I'd put down. The past couple weeks have been hard. It hasn't been any one thing, but Life has just been so busy.
I think that anytime there's a big change when little kids are involved there is a delay in adjusting, and the honeymoon is over around here and now our older two are acting out and we've had to break out the good ol' sticker chart again. At the same time, I had mastitis, which I've had with every baby, and it wiped me out for a good 4 days, during which things were so busy I saw Derek in passing for about 20 minutes each day. I was also trying to figure out Chase's tummy troubles, and that became slightly all consuming and stressful, but I've got it figured out now... I think.
I've had my own delay in realizing that I have 3 children now. It scares me sometimes. There was a carnival at Bryce's school last weekend that I took the kids to. What was I thinking??? Had my neighbors not been there to help me, we would have had to just pack up and leave because I couldn't manage or keep track of all three by myself. It made me panic a little because right now my saving grace is that Bryce is in school during the day, but that ends soon, and I'm not ready. It seems my hands are always busy meeting Chase's needs, and I don't know how to do it all.
After talking to Derek one night I realized what has really been the problem though. It's not ornery kids, being sick or not having any time to ourselves, it's that we've lost the balance in our lives. Derek is so busy at work, and when he comes home our "big boys" demand his attention and he feels like he doesn't have enough time to give anything the attention it deserves. I am tied up with Chase all day long and am just trying to fit in the day to day duties of running our home. I feel like I'm on survival mode. There are nights I don't want to go to bed because I know I have to wake up and do it all over again tomorrow, and the idea exhausts me. I know this is just a season of our lives now and that things will get easier, especially once Chase is older and not so dependant on me, but right now it's hard.
I practice balancing exercises with my Pilate's class and I have them find a focal point during the exercise to help them steady themselves. I've been asking myself, "What is my focus right now and where should it really be?" I've also realized that something's gotta give. But how do I choose between all good things? My family should be, and is, my focus but, sadly, lately I think Derek and I have focused so much on meeting the needs of our children we are failing to meet the needs in our relationship. That is not a sacrifice I am willing to make. It makes me wonder how people have more children, because 3 is obviously more than I can successfully manage. See what I mean about sounding like a whiny cry baby. So we're in an adjustment period right now. Things are still good, just chaotic, but it's temporary and I know that with prayer and by focusing on what we want for our family we'll figure it out and find that happy balance again.
3 years ago
12 comments:
Oh Sheri, this post took me back to when Brett was born! I completely understand! Baby #3 was the most difficult for our family to adjust to. It was so hard to remember to nuture the relationship with James especially when I was soooo tired. I promise that this will pass and quickly! For me, it takes about 2 months before I feel like I'm under somewhat of control! Good Luck!
Sheri, you've been on my mind--wondering how things are going (diet is more what I had on my mind). I'm so sorry it has been so hard. I had the hardest time going from 1 to 2. At times it seemed nearly impossible. Survival mode is completely normal and it is okay. After Lydia I remember Maren told me I had a least a 3 month break to get back to normal, and I really took that to heart...that no one expects me to do anything besides feed my baby and sleep for 3 months. And then when 3 months came, I decided that she must have said 6 months. Good luck!
I can't decide what is worse- being 38 weeks pregnant (and having bouts of sciatica) or having a new baby and trying to figure out life with 3 children. Hang in there! I'll be suffering with you very soon.
After much tribulation comes the blessing. Actually, 3 perfect beautiful little boys are quite a blessing. Hang in there.
I'm feeling the same way, and Emmie is 6 months now! Somehow 3 has just been hard for me to figure out. I'm always running and feel like everything and everyone is suffering because I just don't have time to do it all. You'll have to post again when you figure it out...cause I still haven't!
Oh wow, this could have been written by me. It's exactly how I feel, but instead of Andrew being super busy at work, he's super busy at church. Eliza is only about 3 weeks younger than Chase and I'm racking my brain wondering how I'm going to survive!
Sheri, sorry to hear your frustrated. I'm sure all mom's can relate to this at one point or another. Every big transition has a period of adjusting . . . a period which eventually ends. With this latest baby of mine PLUS moving I have had to really focus on the fact that this time of my life is for my children . . . but not to the expense of my relationship with the hubby. I spend my days for the kids, it's my job really. I make it nice for them, teach them, and keep them happy. But we try really hard to spend time together (hubby and I) each night too, whether watching a show, folding laundry (ha) or just talking. My best advise is EARLY BEDTIMES for the kids. It's a life saver. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you!
**KT
You looked beautiful in that orange sweater on Thursday.
And, I admire you.
Thank you for being a very "real" and genuine person.
I know that it will get better. Soon, the boys will be adjusted, Chase will sleep, YOU will sleep, work will get better and life will be amazing again before you know it. And then you'll blink and you'll be at their weddings. Wierd eh? Ya... like I know...
Sounds like you need a babysitter this weekend. Do yourself a favor and get one. Then go get a great dinner with Derek, don't even discuss children, work or anything. Just even enjoy the silence.
And you have to know that you were one of 3 people that helped me realize that life does exist after motherhood. And that life is good.
Wish I could be there to help. I miss you.
You didn't tell me you had mastitis!! And I just had to laugh at what Niki wrote! Sure thing, Nik, 6 months sounds good! :) Sorry it's been so rough, but thanks for giving me an accurate picture of what my life will be like in a couple of months! And thanks for taking time out of your crazy life to call me just to chat. It was nice. I love you, and hope you find your balance soon.
Hey there, so sorry your feeling blue, it is hard to adjust to a new baby. I still havent' gotten used to Keaton :) As soon as school is out, come for a visit. You can use my big tub and I'll watch the kids for you. Bring Derek some evening and you two can go do something in Harlan......not that there is much to do here, but we do have a couple of good places to eat. Miss you, and love you. Find strength in the things you love most. Don't forget to take care of you.
Post a Comment