***Sorry for the lack of posts and pictures as of late. We are experiencing technical difficulties at the Neeley household - soon to be resolved by the purchase of a new computer. Stay tuned for a better blog!***
Several weeks ago I started a real pity party for myself. It was pathetic, truly. The theme of my party went something like this: "I don't have any friends. There's no one I can turn to for help. Why don't we live closer to family? I'm all alone. I'm lonely. Woe is me, woe is me."
Before you think I'm seconds away from curling up in a ball mumbling to myself, I should explain there were some instigating factors for my upbeat and cheerful attitude. The first, and probably most significant contributor, is that I'm pregnant (due 3/10) so I have all those lovely hormones knocking around inside of me turning me into an emotional loon. The second was that my dear friend Jenee' had moved leaving a serious void in my life and social calendar. I'm still sad about this - it's like I'm a teenager all over again and I lost my BFF. And third was this pity party started around the time my mom's health problems began. But once again, my mental status for #2 and #3 could all be reconciled were it not for #1.
My mom continues to get better but still needs help and my dad had to go out of town for several days. There were a lot of opinions in my family about what was best for mom while my dad was gone, but what it finally came down to was I flew out to her house for a few days, and the days I wasn't here the Relief Society (the women's organization in our church) lined people up to be with my mom round the clock. My mom keeps insisting the R.S. is taking a little too good of care of her and she doesn't need someone here all the time, and I told her that people want to help and she needs to let them serve her. But then I had to take my own advice. I feel a bit as though I've abandoned my family while I am here, and I had to ask for help with my children while I'm gone. This was hard. And while I was trying to muster up the courage to impose on the few friends I felt I have, word got out that I was leaving to care for my mother. I had to turn people down as they approached me about helping while I was gone. My friends in Washington happily volunteered to take me to/from the airport. I could have stayed with my mom much longer had I known the out pouring of help I would received from my friends. It ended my pity party really fast. It was a good reminder that I'm not alone, there are plenty of people I can turn to and just because there may not be a blood relation, I have family all around me. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you - to everyone who reads this. The phrase from the Beatles song keeps running though my head, "I get by with a little help from my friends". Never more true to me than it is right now.
15 comments:
Congratulations on baby #3! That is very exciting. I'm glad to hear that you have "family" to take care of you while you look after your mom. It really is amazing how much people are willing to help and serve.
First, Congrats on baby!
Second, I feel guilty for not offering help while you were out of town. I may not be the best "noticer" when help is needed...but, please know that you can call me anytime.
Third, everyone needs a little pity party every now and then.
Congratulations Sheri! I'm super excited for you! Glad that things are going better for you, and I hope your mom continues to improve.
**KT
How exciting to have another one on the way!!! Congrats!
I agree with Laurie...everyone does need a pity party from time to time. Glad to hear your mom is doing better!
You made me cry. I had to leave for my Grandpa's funeral and I had friends volunteering to take my kids for me. I felt that love from the 'ward family' reaching out to me. Congrats on the new addition coming your way. And good luck with the hormones! Those things can be a killer!
Congratulations and Amen!!! You couldn't have said that any better, I've had the same feelings you did and somehow or another I always learn my lesson...thanks for the reminder!
Congratulations from the Bastians!
I am so excited and happy for you! Hope the pregnancy goes well. I hope your mom gets feeling better soon. Let her know she's in our prayers.
Looks like you've broken our pattern. Ha Ha Ha. Congratulations!!! I'm glad you were able to go be with your mom.
Maybe we need to plan a girls weekend before that baby comes. I miss you a ton too it's just not the same. Great to talk to you today.
Sheri- I feel the same way at times. But don't forget--you do have family here. So, quit ditchin' me for lunch and let's go next week :-)
I wish I were there to help out too. It was good to "talk" to you the other day. Please keep in contact. YOU ARE SO AWESOME!
im SOOO excited to see you guys for Christmas! Leah needs to play with some cousins! Leah started walking this week and got a huge shiner!
Congratulations on your 3rd. Wish I could be there to help you out. I'll pray for you and your mom.
I still feel bad you were feeling so sad. How's it going now? I haven't been around very well lately . . .
Post a Comment