Thursday, January 17, 2013

Laundry Day

Laundry Day.

I hate it.

Sometimes, I think it would be better if I didn't wait until it was essential that clothes were washed  (like, someone is out of underwear) to tackle it, but when I try to do it throughout the week I end up with clean clothes sitting in the dryer waiting to be folded. When I hit it all in one day, it's only the LAST load, which is usually linens, that ends up in the dryer for a week.  

So here's how it goes.  

First I take all the boys hampers and dump them on the floor in my room, making a mountain of dirty clothes.
Then I sort it into at least five piles, sometimes six.  White, lights, darks, colors, linens and delicates (if needed).  We have somewhere between 5-9 loads a week for the 6 of us.
Then it's off to the laundry room.  My laundry room is upstairs and I love it.  I never have to haul laundry baskets up and down the stairs and I never have laundry cluttering up my main floor (I have enough other junk to do that).
Once it's all clean and dry I dump it onto my bed to be folded.  I try to keep on top of this, but you know how it is.  Dumping it on the bed is a strategic move on my part.  Any clean clothes that have not been folded by bedtime are still there and my loving husband actually has to physically push them off the bed and onto the floor to go to sleep.  If he dares do this, it results in the stink-eye from me, so he usually resists and helps finish the folding.  Derek hates laundry day too.
Everyone has their own basket of folded clothes.  These baskets usually sit on my bedroom floor for a good 3 days, being occasionally picked through for clean underwear, before being transferred into the boys rooms where they put them away (typically under severe duress).

Then, we have a few days of empty laundry baskets before the entire process begins again.

How do you do your family's laundry?

2 comments:

Niki said...

Our laundry is exactly the same to the T. I would say that laundry is the worst chore ever. But then I start thinking, ironing is right up there, as is dishes, washing floors, cleaning "the boys' bathroom," the list goes on and on. Oh to have a maid...

Maren and Dustin said...

The laundry I don't mind, it's the ironing that I loathe. Most of my friends think I'm weird that I even iron at all. :) But I tackle my laundry in one day. It's always Monday, and it's pretty much the only thing I do all day. My kids have to assist in folding their laundry and putting it all away (on Monday). Then it's done and over with till the next Monday. (Except for the ironing, which sits until I finally tackle it. Yuck.)